Perugia, IT - Sept. 28 2010
NiPS Laboratory (Dipartimento di Fisica, Università di Perugia) organized a Networking session on "Energy efficient ICT" during the International Conference ICT2010 (Brussels 27-29 September, 2010).
Energy efficiency is usually defined as “the percentage of energy input to a device that is consumed in useful work and not wasted as useless heat”. However, this does not apply to the next generation of nanoscale ICT devices. The basic mechanism behind energy dissipation requires a new definition when non-equilibrium processes involving only a few degrees of freedom are considered. Thus, the goal of achieving highly efficient devices involves rethinking both energy and information dissipation.
The aim of the Networking Session entitled "Energy efficient ICT: toward zero-power devices for a greener planet" was to bring together European experts at the cutting-edge of developing efficient low-power ICT devices that harvest most of their energy from the environment with a positive impact on the ICT carbon footprint for a greener and healthier planet.
The Session took place on the 28th September 2010 in Brussels at room T 010 from 14:00-15:30 and have seen the participation of more than 50 persons.
14.00 Session introduction (L. Gammaitoni) slides
14.10 Round table coordinated by Justin Mullins (Scientific journalist)
- Werner Escher (ETH Zurich/ IBM Research Zurich Research Laboratory, CH)
- Roberto Zafalon (STMicroelectronics, EU Projects Director)
- H. Vocca (Wisepower srl, IT)
15.00 Proposals for ongoing/future activities
- ZEROPOWER Coordinated Action (D. Paul, University of Glasgow UK) slides
- Micro Energy day (L. Gammaitoni, NiPS Lab, University of Perugia IT)
- MINECC: Minimising Energy Consumption of Computing to the Limit. (R. Stuebner, EC ICT-FET Proactive) slides
- conclusions (L. Gammaitoni)
More information can be found HERE: http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/events/cf/ict2010/item-display.c...
This activity is developed within the EC (FET Proactive) Project NANOPOWER: Nanoscale energy management for powering ICT devices (FPVII, GA N. 256959) - www.nanopwr.eu
Partially supported by:
- Ministero Italiano della Ricerca Scientifica (PRIN 2007),
- Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Perugia (Bando a tema - Ricerca di Base 2009, Microgeneratori di energia di nuova concezione per l'alimentazione di dispositivi elettronici mobili),
- Wisepower srl (www.wisepower.it)
Pictures of the Networking session available via NiPS lab FB: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2068392&id=1335139803&l=5c93d289e0