Aalborg (Denmark) - August 13-16, 2016
The Noise in Physical System Laboratory is glad to announce the seventh edition of NiPS Summer School devoted to "ICT-Energy: Energy consumption in future ICT devices".
The school, supported by European Commission under the FET Proactive Coordination Action ICT-Energy (www.ict-energy.eu), is open to graduate students, post-docs, young researchers, and in general to all scientists interested in the physical foundations and practical applications of energy management in computing processes.
The school is aimed at teaching the bases of the science of efficient ICT through 4 thematic groups of lectures:
1) Basic on the physics of energy transformations at micro and nanoscales
2) Introduction to energy harvesting and distributed autonomous mobile devices
3) Software and energy aware computing
4) High performance computing and systems
For each thematic group we foresee 4 lectures for a total of 16 lectures organized in four full days.
Participants to the school will have the opportunity to widely discuss with teachers and colleagues, also through a evening poster-session, where the research conducted by the participants will be illustrated.
The school issues a certificate of participation with explicit mention of the hours of lectures, for credit assignment.
Luca Gammaitoni, NiPS Laboratory, Dipartimento di Fisica, Università di Perugia
Teachers and lectures
- Introduction to energy
- Energy transformations at micro scales
- The physics of computing: fundamental limits on energy
- Energy dissipation in present ICT devices
- Introduction to Energy harvesting and linear oscillator based harvesters
- Energy harvesting transducers (i.e. piezoeletric, electromagnetic, electrostatic)
- Wideband, Nonlinear, and non-resonant energy harvesting
- Devices and applications
- Foundations of measuring the energy consumption of software
- Energy modelling
- Fundamentals of static analysis of software
- Static analysis and optimization
Prof. V. Heuveline, Univ. of Heidelberg
Aalborg University - Create Building
Room 4.105 overlooking the harbor
Rendsburggade 14 - DK 9000 Aalborg C
Hotel Cabin, Fjordgade 20, 9000 Aalborg. https://www.cabinn.com/hotel/cabinn-aalborg-hotel
The hotel is located 250 meters from Create Building. Prices from DKK 521 pr. Night.
Make your reservation via mail to email@example.com – use Conference booking code : ICT Energy Ph.D School 2016
First Hotel Aalborg, Rendsburggade 5, 9000 Aalborg. http://www.firsthotels.com/
Prices from 995 pr. night
NiPS Laboratory, Dipartimento di Fisica, Università di Perugia
via Pascoli 1 - I-06123 - Perugia (Italy)
How to reach
Buses to and from Aalborg Airport:
There are buses from Aalborg Airport to Aalborg Centre and returning 5 times every hour. These are buses 71, 2H, 971, 70 and 200.
See more at Rejseplanen.dk (travel plan).
Travelling by train:
In case you come from Germany or another nearby country, you can comfortably reach Aalborg with a days journey by train. To precisely find out the options by train we suggest using the site www.db.de, which is a German website. This website has the most information on travelling internationally.
Passengers from Sweden can connect with a train from Stockholm or Göteborg via. Malmö.
For more information please visit http://www.sj.se/
You can order a taxi any time of the day by phone: (+45)9810 1010.
For further information please visit www.dantaxi.dk/Aalborg
The registration fee includes: a welcome reception incl. a light meal, 8 coffee breaks, 4 lunches and 1 dinner.
Accompanying persons are welcome. No registration fee is foreseen, the costs of the meals are borne by the accompanying person: 60€ to attend the gala dinner, and 25€ pr. day for coffee breaks and lunches.
Early registration (until 20 June 2016): 325 €
Late registration (from 21 June 2016): 375 €
Deadline for registration: 30 July 2016
Registration Step by Step
1) Please compile the Registration form: http://www.nipslab.org/summerschool2016registration
2) You will receive by email a confirmation of admission with instructions for the payment of the registration fee.
3) After the payment your registration is completed and you will receive an invoice.
Please notice that school attendance is limited to 70 students and the participation will be assessed on a first-come/first-serve basis, subjected to acceptance from the Organizing Commettee.
Students can apply for a scholarship. The allocation and amount of scholarships are at the discretion of the organizing committee.
The summer school is organized in conjunction with another training event, the ICT-Energy Science Conference "ICT-Energy 2016: Minimizing energy consumption of computing".
Previous editions of NiPS Summer School have seen in five years the participation of around 150 students and young researchers from all over the world. Please visit the following links for information on previous editions, together with the slides of the lectures and photos of the events: