Gubbio (Italy) – June 30 – July 3, 2017
The Noise in Physical System Laboratory is glad to announce the eighth edition of NiPS Summer School devoted to “Energy harvesting: models and applications”.
The school is open to graduate students, post-docs, young researchers, and in general to all scientists interested in the physical foundations and practical applications of energy harvesting and energy transformations at micro and nanoscales.
- Lecture 1: Introduction to energy (Basics on thermodynamic laws. First and Second principle. Carnot theorem and Entropy).
- Lecture 2: Energy at micro and nanoscale (Statistical interpretation. Kinetic theory and termal energy. What is energy dissipation? Fluctuation-Dissipation relations. Noise powered devices).
- Lecture 3: Introduction to E.H. (Energy Harvesting as energy transformation process. Efficiency evaluation. Benchmarking E.H.).
- Lecture 4: Kinetic E.H. (Motion associated energy. Physical principles for kinetic harvesting: electrodynamic, electrostatic, piezoelectric, …).
- Lecture 5: Random Vibration Harvesting( Energy as random motion. Introduction to spectral techniques. Linear and non-linear harvesting)
- Lecture 6: Electrical issues (Electrical impedance matching.Energy storage. Power management. Special electronics).
- Lecture 7: Light and electromagnetic radiation E.H. (Elements of photo voltaics. Ambient radio frequency harvesting).
- Lecture 8: IoT and the powering of autonomous devices (Sensor networks Autonomous sensors and actuators. Energy budget for complex devices).
- Lecture 9: Applications cases 1 (buildings, infrastructures, automotive and transportation applications).
- Lecture 10: Applications cases 2 (human and animal applications).
Scientific Director: Luca Gammaitoni, NiPS Laboratory, Dipartimento di Fisica, Università di Perugia
NiPS Summer School 2017 is held at the “Centro servizi Santo Spirito” in the town of Gubbio, in central Italy.
Gubbio is world famous for his history and culture. Please find here more information on the conference venue: Gubbio.
The Summer school is scheduled to start on June 30th with a welcome cocktail and end on July 3rd.
Lectures will run on mornings and afternoons from 9:00 to 18:00. On July 6th at 16:30 it is foreseen a touristic guided excursion through the town of Gubbio and, following, social dinner in a special location.
Accompanying persons are welcome to the summer school. Touristic attractions and cultural events will be running in Gubbio during the summer school days.
For more information please check this link “Gubbio Scienza nelle Piazze” (active March 2017).
All hotels are within an easy walk from the Summer School venue.
How to reach Gubbio
The closest airport to Gubbio is the San Francesco airport located at 30 min drive.
Central Italy’s closest major airports are in Rome, Pisa, and Florence. These can be easily reached by train, bus or car.
The major international gateway is Rome’s Aeroporto Leonardo da Vinci, known as Fiumicino (FCO) (30 km/19 mi southwest of Rome).
Pisa’s Aeroporto Galileo Galilei (PSA) (12 km/7 mi south of Pisa and 80 km (50 mi) west of Florence) has flights from London, Amsterdam, Brussels, and Paris)
Florence’s Aeroporto A. Vespucci, known as Peretola (FLR) (10 km/6 mi northwest of Florence), has connections to Brussels, Paris, London, Rome, and Milan.
– From North: A14 HIGHWAY – Get off at FANO and follow the directions to reach GUBBIO. A1 HIGHWAY – Get of at AREZZO and follow the directions to reach GUBBIO.
– From South: A1 HIGHWAY – Get off at ORTE and follow the directions to reach PERUGIA till the exit sign of GUBBIO. A14 HIGHWAY – Get off at ANCONA NORTH and follow the directions to reah JESI, FABRIANO, GUBBIO.
Arrival at FOSSATO di VICO Railways Station there is public bus connexion to Gubbio (18Km. to reach GUBBIO, tickets on board). Information on train schedule are available here: Trenitalia.
– Departure from Roma Tiburtina bus station at 16:00 (from Monday to Saturday), arrival at Piazza 40 Martiri Gubbio at 19:00. Tickets on board.
– Deaparture at 14:30 (from Monday to Saturday) from Terminal 3 – Fiumicino Airport – International arrivals, tourist bus parking . Change bus at Roma Tiburtina at 16:00. Arrival at Piazza 40 Martiri Gubbio at 19:00.
Please, inform the driver your final destination is Gubbio. Tickets on board.
Information on bus schedule are avaible here: Sulga.
The registration fee includes: a welcome cocktail, 6 coffee breaks, 3 lunches and the social dinner. Moreover, a programmed excursion is included.
Early registration (until 30 April 2017): 350 €
Late registration (from 1 May 2017): 450 €
Accompanying persons are welcome, and can choose between the following options:
Option 1: 80 € – it covers the cost of a welcome cocktail, the social dinner and the excursion
Option 2: 150 € – it covers the costs of a welcome cocktail, 3 lunches, the social dinner and the excursion
Registration Step by Step:
1) Please compile the Registration form: registration closed
2) You will receive by email a confirmation of admission with instructions for the payment of the registration fee.
3) After the payment your registration is completed and you will receive an invoice.
Please notice that school attendance is limited to 70 students and the participation will be assessed on a first-come/first-serve basis, subjected to acceptance from the Organizing Commettee.
Students can apply for a scholarship. The allocation and amount of scholarships are at the discretion of the organizing committee.
Deadline for registration: 31 May 2017
NiPS Laboratory, Dipartimento di Fisica, Università di Perugia
via Pascoli 1 – I-06123 – Perugia (Italy)
The summer school is organized in conjunction with another scientific event, the International Conference “Micro Energy 2017“.
Previous editions of NiPS Summer School have seen in seven years the participation of around 250 students and young researchers from all over the world.
Please visit the following links for information on previous editions, together with the slides of the lectures and photos of the events: