NiPS – EnABLES Summer School 2021
The Noise in Physical Systems Laboratory is very glad to announce the NiPS – EnABLES Summer School “Powering the Internet of Things 2021” devoted to the topics of Energy Harvesting, Storage, Micro-Power Management and Systems Integration.
This is the fourth – and final – event of formation and dissemination supported together by University of Perugia (Italy) and the EnABLES EU-funded project (grant no. 730957). The Summer School is foreseen to take place in Perugia from the 15th to the 18th of September 2021, in parallel with the International Conference SR40, concerning the 40th anniversary of the first paper about Stochastic Resonance.
The NiPS – EnABLES School, bringing together international scientists from academia, research centers and industry in the subject area of Energy Harvesting, offers the opportunity to young researchers to be aware of the state of art and moreover to generate newly founded enthusiasm for groundbreaking technologies in the field of energy harvesting and energy transformation at micro and nanoscales, and its use for powering sensing and communicating devices
Energy management in self-powered smart sensors and devices is required by IoT innovation, and this Summer School is a great opportunity to bring new blood to the power IoT community, a strategic way to prepare a new generation of “powering the IoT” researchers, encouraging collaborations and the comparison between different and complementary competences, not only for graduates and PhD students, but also for researchers from industry and academia.
The school is open to graduate students, post-docs, young researchers, and in general to all scientists and professionals interested in the physical foundations and practical applications of energy transformations at micro and nanoscales.
This year the event will be organized in a mixed modality, in order to guarantee that the School will be carried out even if the limitations – due to the Covid-19 pandemic – will persist: a virtual attendance or an in-presence participation.
Scientific Director: Luca Gammaitoni, NiPS Laboratory, Dipartimento di Fisica e Geologia, Università di Perugia
Day 1 (Wednesday, September the 15th)
Day 2 (Thursday, September the 16th)
- 9:00 – 9:30 CEST Introduction: Welcome, Introduction to the Summer School and EnABLES project presentation (L. Gammaitoni/F. Cottone – University of Perugia, Italy)
- 9:30 – 10:45 CEST Using biological cells as source of electrical energy (L. Catacuzzeno – University of Perugia, Italy)
- 11:15 – 13:00 CEST Radio Frequency energy harvesting (G. vom Boegel – Fraunhofer Inst., Germany)
- 14:00 – 15:45 CEST Recent advances in cost effective and eco-friendly materials towards sustainable dye sensitized solar cells (C. Barolo – University of Torino, Italy)
- 16:15 – 18:00 CEST Electrochemical accumulators and electrolytes (M. A. Navarra – University of Roma, Italy)
Day 3 (Friday, September the 17th)
- 9:00 – 10:45 CEST Microwaves and wireless components (V. Camarchia – Politecnico di Torino, Italy)
- 11:15 – 13:00 CEST Review of vibration-based piezoelectric energy harvesters: compliant structures, principles, materials and energy generation capability (Guangbo Hao – UCC, Ireland)
- 14:00 – 15:45 CEST Printed electronic devices and hybrid systems – 45 min lecture (J. Aghassi – KIT, Germany)
- 16:15 CEST Excursion and Social dinner – Cantine Blasi
Day 4 (Saturday, September the 18th)
- 9:00 – 10:45 CEST High Entropy Materials for Energy Storage and beyond (tbd – KIT, Germany)
- 11:15 – 13:00 CEST Ultra-low voltage Energy Harvesting (A. Romani – University of Bologna, Italy)
- 14:00 – 15:45 CEST Intermittent Computing (A. Weddell – University of Southampton, UK)
- 16:15 – 18:00 CEST Hands-on (E. Boco – Wisepower srl, Italy)
Previous editions of NiPS Schools have seen in eleven years the participation of more than 500 students and young researchers from all over the world.